I am so excited for the big reveal of my master bedroom makeover that I spent the past few months working on. This DIY Navy and Copper master bedroom decor is full of of individual projects like this DIY Tufted Headboard, DIY Chalk-Painted Furniture, & spray painted decor! It’s also full of decor pieces from some of my favorite home decor stores like Rodworks! I even found some matching pajamas from Needham Lane as the cherry on top! Believe it or not, this room is actually in a basement apartment but with all of this light it feels like anything but a basement!
I’ve been sleeping like a baby these past few nights in our newly completed room! I’m so happy to finally have a room both my husband and I are so happy with! The Navy, Grey, White, and Copper scheme was a totally winner! Okay I can’t wait any longer, the tour begins now! (These bright and happy photos were taken by my favorite Utah photographer, Diana Putnam Photography!)
1. Painted Gray Walls: First step was painting the wallsl! The walls were a dark brick color and the room felt a little too dark. I picked this beautiful light grey called Grayish by Sherwin Williams. I’m so happy with the color! It brightened up this room so much!
2. DIY Tufted Upholstered Headboard: Next can we talk about this bed?! I’ve wanted a big white fluffy bed (and somebody I love to share it with) for as long as I can remember! I am happy to say that both of these dreams have been realized and I’m blissful as a bird! I’m proud to say that I actually MADE this headboard! That’s right, you heard me! I built this bed! I’m writing a separate post all about how to build this DIY tufted headboard so that I could get into all of the nitty gritty details!
3. DIY Chalk Painted Thrifted Furniture: Next I want to show you my DIY chalk-painted furniture! We thrifted this set of furniture for free from a family member and we were thrilled! My mom taught us how to paint furniture when we were young so I’ve done it quite a bit but it’s definitely not too hard of a project for a beginner to take on! When painting wood furniture that has previously been stained, you either need to sand it down and prime it then paint it OR you can simply paint it with chalk paint then wax it! Chalk-painting furniture is definitely my favorite way to do it. Since chalk paint can be a bit pricey, I make my own chalk paint!
DIY Chalk Paint Ingredients: Any-Color Paint + Plaster of Paris + Cool Water
DIY Chalk Paint Mixture: Mix 1/3 cup of cool water with 1/3 cup of plaster of paris until it’s smooth. Then mix in 1 cup of any-color paint till the color is even. Use the mixture right away and make more as needed! (This will make enough for one coat on a typical dresser.)
Once you’ve painted the desired number of coats (these dressers needed 3-4) use a basic furniture wax (rub on with a cloth then use another clean cloth to wipe of the excess.) Let dry and admire you’re beautiful furniture!
4. Hanging Lighting: Like Joanna Gaines herself often uses to decorate the houses on Fixer Upper, I chose these hanging caged lights from Rodworks to use as beside lighting and I couldn’t be happier with them! Since we don’t own this house we didn’t install these into the ceiling so I simply screwed 2 simple hooks into the ceiling to hang these lights by their chains. One hook for directly above the light and another hook to divert the chain and chord to the wall.
5. White Bedding: I found all of our white bedding on Amazon. That’s right, Amazon, and we love it! One comfy white duvet cover and a white sheet set and voila! One cuddle-ready fluffy white bed! I’m in heaven!
6. Copper Decor: I really wanted the colors of our room to be navy, grey, and white with copper metal accents. I quickly found out that not a lot of things come in copper, but most everything can be spray painted copper! After experimenting with quite a few different copper spray paints (trust me, I tried 3!) I’ve found the most perfect copper spray paint color! It’s at Hobby Lobby and I’ll never use another copper color.
7. Home Decor Accessories: I found most of my decor pieces at Rodworks like my hanging caged lights, hanging planters, copper planters, copper vase, wooden tray, and faux plants! Rodworks is an adorable home decor store located here in Lehi, UT and I’m officially obsessed! I made several runs to Rodworks while I was decorating this room and got new inspiration every time I stepped inside! (Keep an eye on my Instagram for a $50 gift card giveaway on Tuesday!)
I also found a few things at Ross like my curtain rod and curtains. At Hobby Lobby I found my dalmatian decorative pillow and remote control candles. At Walmart I found my navy and white decorative pillow. My frames and lamp were thrifted!
One of my most sentimental things in this room is my stack of three frames, a picture from our wedding, where we were married, and our marriage sealing certificate! Studio Gold Design made me the beautiful rose gold Manti Temple print! I just love how it ties the whole room together and gives it so much meaning!
8. Navy Pajamas & Accessories: I found these darling traditional long-sleeve navy pajamas from Needham Lane, an online modest pajama store! I love the traditional cut, the lined lapels, the pocket, and most of all the loose fit lightweight fabric! They have so many cute printed pajamas to choose from I had the hardest time deciding! (Like have you ever noticed how cute Mindy Kaling’s pajama wardrobe always is on The Mindy Project? Just like that!) I also picked matching cosmetic bags and navy slippers too! I use the cosmetic bags to keep night-time essentials handy on my nightstand (like my make-up remover and lip balm so I can easily get ready for bed, from bed!)
Well there you have it!
Walls: Grey Paint: Sherwin Williams (via Lowes)
Bed: Tufted Headboard: DIY (supplies from Lowes, Hobby Lobby, Joann) | Bedding: Amazon | Navy & White Pillow: Walmart | Dalmatian Pillow: Hobby Lobby | Navy Wooden Tray: Rodworks | Blair Waldorf Mug: The Trendy Sparrow | Marble Macbook Sticker: Marble Macbook | Marble iPhone Case: Case Taboo | Faux Mini Potted Succulent: Rodworks
Furniture: Set: Thrifted| Navy Chalk Paint: DIY Recipe (1/3 cup cool water + 1/3 cup plaster of paris + 1 cup favorite paint) | Copper Vase: Rodworks | Blush Bouquet: Ross | Remote Control Candles: Hobby Lobby | Tree Print: Hobby Lobby | Footer Bench: Thrifted
Bedside: Hanging Lights: Rodworks |Sidetables: Thrifted | Planters used for Sidetable Organization: Rodworks
Window: Curtain Rod: Ross | Sheer White Curtains: Ross | Hanging Planters: Rodworks | Cotton Ball Decor: Rodworks | Greenery Decor: Rodworks | White Flowers: Hobby Lobby
Frames: Hanging 3x Frame & Frames: Thrifted | Manti Temple Print: Studio Gold Design
Pajamas: Navy Pajamas: Needham Lane | Navy Printed Slippers: Needham Lane | Navy Bedtime Accessory Bags: Needham Lane
Nail Art: @tipsntoesbyaudrey